This B12 steam locomotive 8572 was built in 1928 by Beyer Peacock for the LNER (London and North Eastern Railway). The original design, although modified by 1928, dated back to the GER (Great Eastern Railway) in 1908.
The loco spent most of its working life in East Anglia. Initially it was used on express passenger services into Liverpool Street. In the 1960s, as the other members of its class were replaced by more modern engines, it pulled goods trains between Norwich and Kings Lynn but also worked passenger trains between Norwich, Cromer and Melton Constable (running over what is now the North Norfolk Railway). The loco finally retired in 1961; by now the last of its class. It was bought by the M&GN Railway Society in 1963.
By 1967 the B12 was in poor condition and in need of restoration and the loco began a 30 year trip around Europe which included visits to locations in the UK, Holland and East Germany.
The work was begun at Sheringham and then Weybourne but progress was slow. The boiler was sent to Essex where the company restoring it went bust. The parts were them shipped to Holland and the East Germany. Eventually it ended up in hundreds of bits at a works near Leipzig. With the reunification of Germany this company was sold off to a private company. The MG&N managed to convince the new management to continue with the restoration and the B12 returned North Norfolk in 1994.
You can read the full story of the resoration in Benjamin Boggis and Steve Allen’s article